Sunday, July 31, 2016

First flights for a former coworker's niece and nephews

Plane: Cessna 172
Route: 40I-I68-40I
Weather: Scattered clouds, 84 degrees, wind 280 degrees at 7 knots

Late last year Ted, a former coworker, reached out to me and asked if I'd be willing to take his nephews flying; he wanted to surprise them as a Christmas present. As I said five years ago when I took another one of his nephews flying, I think most pilots would jump at the opportunity! My crazy travel schedule and their own activities led to many months of figuring out when we'd all be in the same place at the same time. Turns out today was that day.

The video's long but I suspect they'll enjoy being able to re-watch much of the flight

We all met at Stewart a bit before 1 pm - I was already preflighting the 172 when they walked up and said hello. I topped off the tanks and we filled out the requisite Young Eagles forms, then I got Anthony situated onboard. Joe, the younger brother, is particularly into airplanes, so he hopped in front.


After taking off to the west, I orbited over their house; they were quite excited when they spotted it from above. I then flew down towards King's Island, which always seems to delight passengers from above. From there, I entered the pattern at John Lane Field / Lebanon-Warren County Airport (I68) so the boys could switch places.

We made two flights around the local area this afternoon

I departed I68 and we flew over Caesar Creek Lake, then returned to Stewart. Back on the ground, Anthony hopped out and their sister, Isabella, hopped in - she decided she wanted a ride prior to the original departure and I was glad to take her up! We didn't have as much time so we again circled over their house and school before flying north over I-675. I pointed out the local malls and some roads and then we again made our way back to Stewart.


Upon returning, all three kids certainly seemed to really enjoy the experience. We talked for a few minutes and I filled out their certificates and logbooks and said our goodbyes. While I obviously haven't flown too much this year, it's nice to make the most of the little bit I have - and taking kids on their first flights is a great way to do so!

Flight Track: Google Earth KMZ File 
Today's Flight: 1.5 hours
Total Time: 354.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment