Thursday, April 16, 2009

Introducing Rob to the mighty Cub

Plane: Cub, 85 hp
Route: 40I, Local
Weather: Clear, 62 degrees, wind 060 degrees at 6 knots

My good friend Rob is down visiting so we can go to Thunder Over Louisville this weekend and he's never been up in a Cub. Need I say more? Today was definitely the most gorgeous day of the year so far (surpassing that of my last flight) with ridiculously good visibility and completely blue skies. And there's no better way to enjoy it than zipping around low and slow in a bright yellow Cub. It's a great stress-reliever after a hellish week at work, too!

We didn't do anything too fancy, just taking my standard scenic route over the lake and down to the bridge on I-71 over the gorge. I climbed up and did a few steep turns and a stall, which Rob got quite the kick out of. Up at altitude, I pushed the nose over to build up speed and pulled back quickly out of the dive to feel some Gs here and there too. Just a good, fun time in a plane that embodies everything about classic aviation.

Over the river and over the woods...

My first landing was a tad bumpy and, as Rob said, "you can't walk away after that!" Indeed, I made another pass around and this time wasn't feeling it after a bounce off the muddy grass so I elected to go around. The third approach was great all the way down to a total greaser, the perfect way to end a great evening in the air. Rob had a blast and was totally geeked afterwards so I'm glad I had the chance to step out of the Cub with yet another excited passenger!

Flight Track: Google Earth KMZ File
Today's Flight: 1.3 hours
Total Time: 97.3 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment