Saturday, April 4, 2009

Cubbing around

Plane: Cub, 85 hp
Route: 40I, Local
Weather: Clear, 57 degrees, wind 260 degrees at 7 knots

Today was probably the most beautiful day of the year so far... couldn't have asked for better weather to take Gina up for a short hop in the Cub and enjoy the spring scenery. The trees are beginning to flower and bloom and it's great to see the land turning green beneath the wings once again. There was a slight chill in the air from the wind but once inside the cockpit, the sunlight kept it nice and warm through the plexiglass.

We took off down the soft grass and climbed up and out of the pattern to look down on Caesar Creek Lake. Then I climbed up a bit and showed her a few forward slips and made a steep turn here and there. Given the nice weather there was some traffic in the area and gliders over at the gliderport, but Gina did a great job helping me spot it all from far away. I followed I-71 down to the bridge over the gorge and followed the path carved by the river from 1,800 feet back into the pattern at Stewart.

Turning base to final with the sun in my eyes, it looked like a good approach. Clear of the trees, I put in a slight forward slip before flaring. I added in about 100 RPM into the flare and held it off, bringing the stick back and back. Honestly, the first thing I noticed was the sound of the wheels on the grass... total three-point greaser! Those don't come very often and there's nothing like nailing a soft grass landing in a taildragger.

Flight Track: Google Earth KMZ File
Today's Flight: 0.8 hours
Total Time: 96.0 hours

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like great fun and a nice view. You'll have to start bringing a camera along with the GPS so I can live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I know... the last two times I've flown with Gina I assumed she had her camera in her purse (so I didn't bring mine) but she left it at home.

    I still really want to get a helmet-style cam so I can take better video that shows where I'm looking and such. In due time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,

    Sounds like a great flight....one of these days I'll land on grass. Looking forward to some video from the cub flights.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete