Friday, July 13, 2012

Crosswind practice

Plane: Cessna 172
Route: 40I-MGY-40I
Weather: Scattered clouds, 79 degrees, wind 140 degrees at 9 knots

I've come across a few nights recently where we had decent crosswinds. Unlike most years, I didn't have many chances to get in that sort of practice this Spring. Tonight my schedule and the weather finally aligned so it was off to Stewart for some solo practice in the 172.

Productive, if not terribly exciting, practice - playback is at 7.5x speed

I got in two landings each at Stewart and Wright Brothers. Hard to believe, but the last time I landed at MGY was all the way back in September. Tonight was also the first time I flew solo since before the wedding - crazy how fast time has been flying by as of late!

The winds were out of the southeast; they averaged about 80 degrees off runway heading between the two airports. I was planning on using Runway 20 at Wright Brothers but another plane barreled into the pattern when I was on a 45 and said he was using Runway 2, so I just elected to cross midfield and follow him in. Due to the trees on the east side of the property, the swirling air made for a bumpier final approach. In the end, all my landings were decent (the first one at MGY was actually super smooth) and it felt nice to get a bit of a workout up there.

Flight Track: Google Earth KMZ File 
Today's Flight: 0.7 hours
Total Time: 219.9 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment