Monday, December 13, 2010

Skywriting with a GPS logger

Lynol Amero posted this on EAA's Oshkosh365 Forums yesterday. He planned and flew a route in his Ercoupe to spell out "Merry Christmas" and captured the result with his GPS logger. I just think this is incredibly cool and wanted to share it with you all. The amount of time spent planning and precise flying required to do this in one pass is remarkable!


Per his post on the forum:
I didn't know how I would accomplish it at first, so I penned it out as frilly and loopy as I thought I thought could fly it. It had to be big enough so I could make some pretty quick turns, but doable at lower speeds in the Ercoupe. I had to figure out how big to make it. So, I just started out creating a flight plan adding way points in the AvMap GPS, spelling out the letters. I kept the spacing far enough apart that I thought it would work.
Click here to access an interactive version of the GPS track.

6 comments:

  1. That is too cool! Too bad you can't get it to show up on FlightAware!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMAZING! (I am thoroughly impressed... Especially the A in christmas)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you're all enjoying this as much as I am.

    I'd love to try something like this myself but I know it has to be 100x harder than it looks - and it already looks friggin hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the creativity of this! He did an excellent job for a first try as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete